Churros and Soap: Bienvenido a Mexico!

Hey ya’ll! Happy 2018! It’s almost the end of January, but it feels like New Year’s was only last week; this month has been such a whirlwind of new experiences! 

Literally sailed into the sunset leaving Dry Tortugas
Two days after Christmas, we sailed Jasamine away from the Dry Tortugas (a little southwest of Key West), setting out for Isla Mujerés, México. The three day trip across the Gulf was pretty miserable. Jasamine rolled and sails flapped as the light, changing zephyr of a wind teased us this way and that. I did a few watches, but to be entirely honest I stayed below whenever I could and slept as much as is humanly possible, waiting for the trip to be over. The dogs didn’t fare much better. Banjo and Sam had to be leashed in the cockpit to ensure they wouldn’t get lost overboard. Banjo especially was a challenge; going from two walks a day and lots of playtime to being put in a three-day time out didn’t really agree with him. However, we took both dogs for short walks around the deck during the day and I have to say NOTHING is funnier than watching a half-grown puppy stumble around trying to find his sea legs! 

A typical street food vendor...
 smells amazing!
Bold colors make
 for a warm country
After being at sea for three days, the longest sea passage I’ve ever been on, I couldn’t erase the smile from my face when we saw the night lights of Isla Mujerés. And the aromas! After smelling nothing but salt, I soaked up the fragrances of cinnamon, garlic, churros, and… laundry detergent? It’s amazing the land smells you notice when you’ve been out at sea. The next day, when we went ashore and began the “clearing-in” process at El Milagro Marina, I was overwhelmed by the bright, colorful atmosphere. Mexico does not have a color scheme. The amount of patterns and colors you can find in one room in Mexico could put a whole house in the USA to shame. It shouldn’t work, but somehow the clashing patterns and colors combine perfectly to make Mexico feel warm, inviting, and exotic. 
Dad (wearing a serape) at the colorful El Milagro Marina

The first day ashore, I had to translate between my dad and the customs officer and write a letter in Spanish so we could get Jasamine and our passports cleared into the country. Señora Samantha, my high school Spanish teacher, if your’e reading this… THANK YOU! I have spoken more Spanish during our first week here in Mexico than I have spoken in my whole life! And there’s no way I could’ve done it without your lessons! I have negotiated with street vendors, arranged travel across the Yucatán Peninsula, shopped, watched the news, read signs, had conversations, eaten out, etc, in Spanish. I understand now when people say the best way to know a language is by being completely immersed in it. When I go ashore in the morning, my Spanish is rough and choppy as I slowly translate everything in my head from English. At the end of a day ashore, it sounds almost fluent, but my head is swirling because I think every thought twice- once in English and once in Spanish. I’ve even spoken Spanish when I meant to speak English! Having your thought process so changed is an experience beyond description. 

My favorite part of the Mexican culture I have seen so far is the artwork. I swear every other wall in Isla Mujerés has a mural painted on it. Some beautiful, some strange, and (surprise!) all very colorful. However it’s not just the paintings that make Mexico come alive; sculptures, carpentry, woven sarapes, embroidered dresses, pottery, and sea shells made into wind chimes decorate the streets, restaurants, and vendors’ stalls of Isla Mujerés. But my description can’t do the beauty justice; check out some of the photos included at the end of this post for a taste of Mexico. 

Well that’s all for now; I didn’t cover any specific events in this blog post, just wanted to show you a small piece of this amazing country through my eyes. I hope I succeeded! My next post will be about the bus trip my dad and I took across the Yucatán Peninsula to the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza! You can stay updated by clicking the “Subscribe” button on this page, or following my Instagram account “xxsailorgirlxx”. Also, please feel free to write any thoughts, feedback, or questions on the comments section below!
Yours truly chilling with some of the unique artwork
New year, new art! Literally painting over an old mural to create a new one!

(Below) Don't rule out architecture when it comes to art!
On left: A beautifully done, more traditional style restaurant
On right: A conch shell house... as far from traditional as you get! 
Conch shell tree to go with the conch shell house?
A lamp made of driftwood, coral and a sea sponge.















Statue showing Isla Mujeres roots: The island was a fishing settlement before it became a vacation destination.

Comments

Where in the World are We?